Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

the most annoying part.


I know, I know. After reading that title, you have leaned closer to the screen and started nibbling on a fingernail. That is how much you are dying to know just what I find to be "the most annoying" thing.

The problem is, as soon as I write anything as drastic as "most", then I start double-guessing myself and changing what I was going to say before... I will most likely think of more annoying things as I write or in the middle of the night. Such is the bliss of my personality... haha.

So, as I was saying.

To me, possibly the most annoying part of Rey's "job" for me is the severed communication. We work as church planters, and the closest community Rey goes to is a little less than an hour away. The farthest is 4.5 hours away. And, his cell phone service is pretty much nonexistent as soon as he gets outside of our city. Which means, I usually hear nothing from him until he is about 5 minutes away. And that I can't get a hold of him until then.

It just makes for a long day. And the idea that I would not be able to get a hold of him at all if there were an emergency is even more daunting. So far, thankfully, there have been no emergencies that could not be figured out by me. I have been able to think of someone who might be able to give me a ride or whatever I need. Usually, the desire to communicate arises more from either curiosity, boredom, or the desire to plan.

Often, I just am thinking about Rey and want to see what he's up to. Is everything going well? Tell him I miss his darlin' face, etc, etc. ;)

Other times, I'm wondering if I should make supper? Will he have eaten by the time he gets back?? And--by the way--what time are you getting back? It seems to never fail that the nights I don't have supper ready... Rey arrives road-weary and famished. The nights I make a 3-course meal, he is so stuffed that even looking at food is nauseating.

Sigh. See why it could get annoying?

Today, there's no emergency and I still have leftovers from the good supper I made last night--so my desire to communicate isn't really a need. They are at one of the "far-away villages" today. Have been since 8 this morning. They must still be far away, because when I tried to call, my call was sent to voice mail.

Nah. I just wanted to call to tell him about something Noah said. And that some friends stopped by and chatted for a while. And that we've had a pretty good day, but that we miss him. And, that I just pulled cookies out of the oven, since I know he usually likes that after a long day out. Things like that.

But, that's where we are and what we do. I am learning flexibility and patience. I am un-learning to plan my weeks out months in advance... since I usually learn what Rey is doing on a day-to-day basis (for example: I have no idea if they are going out tomorrow or to where).
Yep. It's the most annoying part.

No comments:

Post a Comment