Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

The Why

I have always loved to write. Had a diary from the age of 9, I think... in which I recorded important things such as what I had for breakfast and how many diapers I had changed that day. Through the years, I had to put down my thoughts on 4-H, swim classes, school, family... and of course... love. The all-consuming search. Poems, scribblings, and notes without number where filled with the theme.

I have also been a "quotes searcher". Actually have a special notebook just for those perfect quotes I've found.

I also found that oil painting would fill me with an excited wonder. No one would rush to call me a child prodigy, but the rush of emotions that I would feel as I would mix my own colors and use them to fill a before-empty canvas was unequalled.

For some reason, since I got married and life became completly "other" than how it was, it seems that all artistic expression got put in one of those dusty boxes I have under my bed. I know that this was largely due to huge upheaval (i.e: moving to a different country two months after marriage) and permenant life-change (i.e: marriage... baby before 1st anniversary). I think I was kind of floating along for a while. Perhaps part of the ebb in my flow was the fact that I am married to a wonderful, understanding husband--so that certain "searching" or "longing" that often inspires poetry and the like was no longer there.

However, in recent days, I have been feeling a stirring of desire to return to the cultivation of the "litary/artistic" side of me...and I feel like if it is somewhat public, I may be somewhat inspired to be more regular in my recordings.

So, here's to expression and viva la poesía!! :)

I close with a quote from the great A.W. Tozer from his book The Pursuit of God:
"It is not what a man does that determines whether his work is sacred or
secular; it is why he does it. The motive is everything. Let a man sanctify God
in his heart, and he can thereafter do no common act."

No comments:

Post a Comment