Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

r.i.p.




I have been crying. A lot. I am sick to my stomach.

About an hour ago, I came out into the back yard to check on Noah. He was squatting down, looking at the ground and saying, "Bunny." Thinking he was petting Mona, I came closer. When I got closer, I could see Mona was stretched out, unmoving, on the ground.

Well, not completely unmoving. She was trembling, twitching a bit. Noooo! I thought. Just a couple of weeks ago, our dog had attacked her, had her by the neck and was doing that "neck-breaking-move" dogs do. I saw it, totally freaked out and got the rabbit back in her cage. She seemed frightened, but not too injured. The dog got in so much trouble, I figured she'd leave Mona alone.

Brings us up to today. I have kept Mona in her cage since then because of the incident with the dog--and because I'd caught her eating my plants. Rey likes to let her out to eat grass, which he did yesterday. What had happened with the dog briefly came to my mind, but after watching the dog for awhile, it seemed that she (the dog) was completely ignoring the bunny.

So, back to tonight. I was looking down at Mona. I could see teeth marks, hair missing, and was guessing her neck was broken because she wasn't moving her head at all. I was wishing I had a gun to just get it over with. She was breaking my heart--and I was SO upset that I hadn't seen the dog doing that to her. I could have stopped it.

As I was trying to decide if I should try to move her back to her cage, she kinda stretched and then stopped moving all together. Then, I just started bawling. It's not like we were "close"--I just HATE for anything to die violently.

I was going to try to bury her, but after hacking for a while at our rocky ground through my snot and tears, I realized I wouldn't be able to make a deep enough hole. I didn't want Noah to touch her or the dog to get her again, so I put on gloves and moved her into her cage. She still was so soft, and it was so heartbreaking that I lost it again. Poor Noah has never seen me cry--so I think he wasn't sure if I was out of breath or what. But, he wanted to help me with bunny, so he stayed nearby.

So, goodbye, Mona. You were a good bunny. I am so sorry it had to end like this.

2 comments:

  1. I would have bawled my eyes out too! Poor bunny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck. Sorry Noah had to see that. : ( Hope you're recovering ok!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there... say something! :)